Tues 3.30pm Just finished changing connection of ground wire from solar panels - that had not been done yesterday and needed to be - hopefully, now I'll see input to batteries from solar power. Nice to know they're working but even better to see a benefit!
Sky has become quite overcast but wind still consistently from NNE-ENE at 10-15kt - in fact, it has been for several days now.
Weather is looking fair for one or two more days but it seems that we might get becalmed later. Pressure has been steadily rising over the last day or so and we could find ourselves right in the centre of a High as it develops and its centre moves E across our path. Hopefully, we'll stay on the edge of it where there's some wind, however light. As a result, we might also even get S winds for a time- again not easy to avoid - I'll have to decide which way to head if that happens.
No longer as gentle a ride as earlier - still making a course just E of due S but heading more into NE seas now, with wind from ENE at present.
Time for tea and to think about tonight's meal. I've been so busy with wiring I've had nothing since mid-morning - I'm hungry! I'm thinking a 'chili con carne'of sorts sounds good and easy to fix - there'll be enough for tomorrow as well.
10pm Just had some rain! And strong wind... Reefed down and we were immediately far more comfortable, not heeling so much, and still making good speed. Wind veered ahead of rain and then slowly backed afterwards - we went in a semi-circle!
Gave the boat a good rinse off, I'm hoping... It needs one.
11pm Wind has veered to SE at 7kt! Makes it rather difficult to head just E of S, as we have been... Maybe another rain cloud lurking ahead...?
Wed 1.30am It certainly was! But with almost no wind - so quiet it felt weird! Gave me chance to wipe down the windscreen - had accumulated salt spots. We drifted around for a time while I played with first reef items. With the rainfall, sail had collected water, so hoisted it and then tied in first reef again, along with nettles, a mast tie-in on the luff reef cringle and a boom tie-in of leech reef cringle. Felt sure reef would be needed when wind came up again later, so was a good exercise for me to do all that in quiet, calm conditions - albeit by headlamp!
Missed a radio sched overnight - stopped the alarm and must have turned straight over to catch up on much-needed sleep...!
Soon after sunrise, the expected wind came up - 12-14kt. I was wakened by the noise of the genoa - it needed sheeting in and my tie-down on the wheel had moved out of position. I was pleased to see the wind was from ENE again, so we could make a good course. Trimmed sails, adjusted Fred - by 6:30am, we were underway nicely, making SSE at 6kt. Back to my bunk for couple of hours more sleep before breakfast.
Conditions have stayed the same all morning - overcast skies, with sun trying to get out in occasional breaks. Mainly ENE wind at 12-15kt, seas a bit lumpy but not too bad. Making good use of my sturdy 'bum strap' in the galley, to stay me safe and secure while working there, heeled over with the boat's motion.
Have been studying weather files, as usual - a mixed bag of high and low pressure systems, with strong wind and rain on Cold Fronts, as we head further S, out of the Tropics - difficult to decide which will be the best way to head, at times...
1900 GMT (=1100PST) - end of Day 42. We made just 99 n.ml.(DMG) over the 24 hr period since yesterday's 1900 GMT position - the result of almost no wind for a time overnight and drifting around ...
Position & weather report posted to Winlink.org and Shiptrak.org (using my US callsign of kc2iov) not long after 1900 GMT:
TIME: 2018/11/14 19:00GMT LATITUDE: 21-30.59S LONGITUDE: 126-27.52W COURSE:164T SPEED: 6.0kt
WIND_SPEED: 14kt WIND_DIR: ENE SWELL_DIR: ENE SWELL_HT: 3.0m
CLOUDS: 90% BARO: 1020.3hPa TREND: 1 AIR_TEMP: 25.0C SEA_TEMP: 31.0C
COMMENT: Bright, sunny day - plenty of cloud but no rain in sight.Pitcairn:SW300ml