RTW Day 189: In the S.Pacific: studying weather, weather, ....and more weather

Sunday 28th April 2013

Complete change today from previous days of sunshine - overcast grey skies all day long with increasing wind and very choppy seas - not at all calm! Two good-sized flying fish this morning - and another found late at night while sheeting in mains'l.

Our greenfinch visitor flew off this morning - I'm not convinced that it meant to, but being disturbed as I headed into the cockpit for sail adjustments, I think it flew astern a bit more than intended - and it couldn't get back onboard with the stronger wind and faster boat speed just then. But at least it stood a good chance, having fed well on sunflower seeds and having had plenty of water...

I spent a long, long time - most of today, in fact, either adjusting sails in an effort to keep our speed down to 4kt or less, or studying grib files, asking for fresh ones and trying to deal with a weatherfax problem on the computer - getting garbled rubbish just now and unable to get anything sensible when trying to download weatherfaxes. Means I'm dependent on the dedicated weatherfax machine - at least I have that... It was always intended partly as a back up , in case of computer problems, and that's what it has become! Have to make sure I'm not talking on the radio at the same time since an interference problem is caused.

Actually heaved to at one point, while deciding on tactics for today - took the opportunity to relax over breakfast but then decided I needed to keep us moving N - especially when I heard reference to a possible cyclone forming off Cape York (the 'pointy' N tip of NE Australia) - that's the last thing I need! It does look as though I should be able to avoid a big, long area of heavy convection (i.e. nasty rainclouds with strong squally conditions) around 20S by going fsirly slowly now. Hopefully, by the time I get there, the clouds and squalls will have dissipated or moved away E-SE.

Just started up generator - thought it sounded a bit odd - sure enough not long after, it stopped - 'temperature' alarm light stayed on - water pump problem maybe... impeller possibly... job for tomorrow, it seems - but sleep for now... wind steering takes no power... Will switch off plotter to minimize power usage overnight.

D.M.G. over 24hr to 11am LT: 90 n.ml. Sydney: 1140 n.ml. (2449T); New Zealand's North Cape: 439 n.ml. (173T); Norfolk Island: 241 n.ml. (242T); Fiji (Viti Levu): 618 n.ml. (030T).
..............................................................................................................................................
For my positions and track, see:
www.svnereida.com - 'Travels' - "Where is 'Nereida'?"
and/or:
http://www.exactearth.com/media-centre/recent-ship-tracks/tracking-nereida/

Written by : Mike

Trackback URL