Sunday 10am Tahiti/Hawaii time (Sun 2000 GMT) Light overcast over most of the sky and seas very confused and lumpy with swell from both NNE and SE at 2m/12ft.
More studying of weather info from various sources - looks as though the first system, 'Erick', might dissipate as it passes Hawaii whereas the second, 'Flossie', could intensify a lot as it closes on the Big Island - not clear which way it will then head. If it heads N, we'll be able to get underway sooner and sail NW and then N - I'll have to wait for a few more days to see how it looks nearer the time.
Presently, we're heading towards a WP at 13N and approximately 150W, expecting to heave to once it's reached, to wait for a clear safe passage onward NW to the channel between Oahu and Kauai.
I'm about to go up on deck to reef down - there would be less time spent hove-to if we can slow down more on our way to the WP.
There's likely to be extremely light wind to the S of both systems - so we could well end up becalmed if it isn't possible to get underway as soon as 'Erick' passes to N of us.
3:20pm Calm and peaceful - just gliding along, at slow speed under a bright but cloudy sky and in seas that have lain right down, although every so often a big wave comes along to test my handholds... Feeling very warm sso a fan on above me where I'm sitting on my bunk - almost dry...
Took in the 3rd reef earlier and furled in more genoa, trying to slow us down as much as possible, to reduce the time we'll spend hove to.. Just had a siesta and waiting for an interview with ABC Far North in 3/4 hour - their Monday - my Sunday.
4:50pm Just mended a rather useful LED flashlight - pleased it turned into a really simple, quick project - the switch had become stuck in the 'on' position but once the unit was opened up and the batteries removed, it didn't take much to persuade the switch to move back into its correct position - so it's working well again now. A well-cooled tea to celebrate - with the Tim Tam I didn't get to yesterday...!
It's calm enough to think about making some pancakes - not been having them so often with the seas having been so rough lately, but cooking makes the warm cabin even warmer.
5:30pm Have just been sent a screen shot of the AIS signals around Hawaiian islands - a lot of activity there - will have to keep a very careful watch when closer.
It also looks as though 'Flossie' is expected to wind up into a pretty bg hurricane by 31 July - three days' time.
8:30pm Downloading weatherfax updates, having finished with several radio scheds - always enjoyable chatting to radio friends!
Changed course slightly with change of plan - now heading to 12N, rather than 13N, after seeing latest Hurricane Centre's graphics showing Erick's likely wind speeds and centre position at different times over next few days.
Monday 1am Hawaii/Tahiti time (Mon GMT) Excellent propagation to Florida and E. coast of USA tonight - good to chat to ham radio friends there on 40m/7163kHz - several I've not spoken to for a while.
2:30am Wind has totally died, so very difficult holding any course... Drifting... Difficult to sleep with AP unable to hold us on course...
3:45am Drifting SE at 0.1kt with full lock to port but no response since absolutely no wind... Nothing to be done until some wind comes up again... Trying to get some sleep...
5:30am Light wind just filled in, so back on course WNW, making around 2kt. Sleep...
8:30am Rolling around a lot, from side to side - not much wind, maybe 8kt from NE, but quite a big swell. Overcast sky- a lot of broken light grey cloud with just one tiny patch of blue seen. Trying to download latest weather - might need to heave to even sooner, depending on whether Erick heads due W or takes a slightly more northerly track in heading this way...
Feeling pretty tired - not enough sleep overnight - will try to get some soon...
"QSO Today" podcast of interview with Eric, 4Z1UG, is at:
Link to the Adelaide ABC interview about my Equator crossing is:
While sailing around the world, I'm trying to raise funds to help support the superb life-saving work done by the RNLI (Lifeboats) in Britain each and every day of the year, regardless how bad the weather. In fact, the worse it is, the more likely they are out there, helping someone in distress - whether a swimmer, surfer, small boat or big ship, night or day, summer or winter, and it is a charity - no government funding - so they rely on our help to fund their intensive training and maintain their equipment.
It would be great if you would take a moment to click on the Lifeboats link here (https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Jeanne-Socrates2), if you'd like to show your support for my efforts at sailing solo, nonstop, unassisted around the globe, trying to set a World Record as the oldest person to do so, by donating something towards the great work the RNLI do every day. If a lot of people put in even a small amount, it all adds up... Thanks a lot! If you can help, it will be very much appreciated. Let's see if we can reach my target!
(I hear that some readers might need to talk to their bank BEFORE trying to make a donation to the RNLI since many US banks routinely block foreign transactions unless
they are notified in advance.)
1900GMT (= 9 a.m. LT = Tahiti/Hawaii time) - end of Day 299. We made 56 n.ml. DMG, measured in a straight line between the two 1900GMT positions. Going slowly under minimal sail.
Total distance covered from Victoria, B.C., to end of Day 299 (by daily DMGs): 24,667 n.ml.
Distances (at 1700GMT): Cape Flattery: 2549 n.ml. to NNE; Honolulu: 880 n.ml. to NNW; East Cape, N.Z.: 3452 n.ml. to SW; Papeete, Tahiti: 1680 n.ml. to S
Position, as posted to www.Winlink.org and www.Shiptrak.org (using my US callsign KC2IOV):
TIME: 2019/07/29 19:00GMT LATITUDE: 10-25.66N LONGITUDE: 147-38.60W
COURSE: 303T SPEED: 3.0kt
WIND_SPEED: 8kt WIND_DIR: NE SWELL_DIR: ENE SWELL_HT: 2.0m CLOUDS: 100%
BARO: 1012.5hPa TREND: 2 AIR_TEMP: 31.0C SEA_TEMP: 36.0C
COMMENT: Going slowly, hoping to avoid TS Erick - will heave to soon...