Early morning, under grey cloud, sails were backed in light NE winds. Set Fred to keep the sails very close-hauled, since the wind was highly variable ENE-NE, and that worked well until , with speed mostly around 4.5kt. Then came another larger area of rain cloud ahead of a Cold Front and we several times sailed or drifted W in almost no wind - impossible to stay on course and we lost ground. Finally, after sunset, in company with three boobies roosting on the stern arch, we managed to stay on course albeit at only 2-3kt into the night.
This morning, got the message "chart not available" five times over, so downloaded several weather faxes this evening. Felt slightly reassured by them - there is a hint of ENE wind for 2 or 3 days so we may succeed in passing safely through the reef area ahead by late . I can't wait to get that extensive hazardous area behind me. I just hope the wind keeps up and doesn't die again as we're passing through.
I was delighted to see Laysan Albatross fly past this morning and one was around again for some time near sunset. Hoping to see a Waved Albatross, present in large numbers on Midway Island.
From: KC2IOV/MM by HF radio. Copied by Jim, WB2REM, Port St. Lucie, FL